RJ was nice enough to include me in her month-long autism awareness campaign, and I'm honored to support her. My life hasn't been personally, intimately touched by autism, however, I have many friends who live with it in their families, and I've seen how it can be both a challenge and a source of victories and rewards.
|RJ, TA Chase, me and Amber Kell at GRL|
So I was fortunate in that my worry turned out to be unfounded. However, many parents with mounting suspicions or instincts that something isn't quite right come away with quite different news and it changes the way they must parent for the rest of their lives. And I have the utmost respect for those parents.
Autism Fact #21: Hypersensitive hearing can make you particularly sensitive to sound - for example, able to hear conversations in the distance.
As a final thought, as an ally, there are some things you can do to support friends and neighbors in an autism family:
- Educate yourself about autism
- Teach your children about autism and foster inclusion and empathy
- Listen when they just need a friendly ear
- Take social cues from the parents, or ask ahead of time how best to support their parenting
- Don't give up on the relationship
I'd like to give out two prizes to commenters. Just leave a comment with your name, email and which prize you are interested in!
- For US and Canada only, a print pack consisting of:
- RJ Scott's Ellery Mountain Volume 3 (includes The Barman and The SEAL and The Agent and The Model)
- Winner's choice of one of my available print books, personalized.
- Open worldwide: Grad School Guys series in ebook, choice of Kindle delivery or other format
- Remarkable Restraint
- Naughty By Night (new release this month!)
Naughty by Night blurb
Marty can’t catch a break. Unable to confess to his neighbor Kevin that it’s Kevin he’s interested in, he ends up using advice to make a move on Jason instead. He moves too slowly, though, and Kevin and Jason end up dating each other, leaving Marty out in the cold.
Everything changes the morning Jason wakes up to find Marty in bed with him and Kevin. Jason wonders whether he’s made a big mistake in committing to Kevin. Marty’s mortified—he’s wanted Jason from afar for ages, but never had the courage to act on it. And Kevin is plotting something naughty that will give all three men what they’ve wanted all along.
Pre-order at Amazon: http://amzn.to/1WIZgNL
Excerpt and early download at Pride Publishing: https://www.pride-publishing.com/naughty-by-night
Make sure to leave a comment for your chance to win one of the prize packs! :)