Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Happy Groundhog's Day, Any Do-Overs For Me?--a look back at the past year

I'll admit it, the movie by this name frustrates the heck out of me. Yes, he gets do-overs, but sheesh, he still has to redo all the stuff he got RIGHT too. Drives me nuts just thinking about it! Once you get something right, karma should let you move on to the next level, like playing a computer game, lol.

Not having anything else in mind to post, I thought I'd look back at the past year and see where I'd take the do-overs if I had the chance. I've linked relevant blog posts if there are any.

February 2010--Turned 40, and not entirely unhappy about it. Only do-over would be to celebrate it in a bigger fashion...well, to celebrate it period. :)

March 2010--Put my old house on the market and took a trip to Hawaii. Okay, no do-over on Hawaii (even though a longer trip would have been nice). Putting the house up for sale? I guess it helped us get in gear fixing it up but since it didn't sell and we ended up renting it out, if I could go back, I'd just go that route to begin with and save myself the "showing" hassle.

April 2010--Actually got a do-over of sorts. An early book I'd thoroughly revised, Wet Your Whistle, was offered a contract on April Fool's Day.

June 2010--Yes, skipped a couple of months, since they led up to buying a new house and renting out the old one and a big move...three miles away...in June. Pretty much consumed every waking minute, though I did manage to finish up a few manuscripts in this time. Still LOVE my new house, so no do-overs here!

July 2010--Vacation time. Both Sunriver and the annual road trip to the Midwest were great! I also started editing as a day job as opposed to just freelance. There've been some challenges along the way, mostly in juggling my time between writing and editing, but I love my authors. No do-over there so far. :)

August 2010--My first release at Amber Quill, The Swap, came out, and it's one of my favorite stories to date. I wrote it on a whim and in a rush, and I'm very glad I did. They've been a great pub and I'm almost done with another book for them. Definite keep-as-is.

September 2010--The first anniversary of my first publication. Very amazing and gratifying publishing year, and I wouldn't change a thing. :)

November 2010--Another real-life do-over with my mom's second anniversary of the bone marrow transplant that saved her life. Nothing to add to my post about it, Thankful to Still Be a Daughter.

December 2010--Had a fabulous Christmas, but got very little done in the way of writing. Rather than getting caught up in the minutae of the holidays, if I could go back, I'd use some of that time to wrap up a few writing projects.

January 2011--Kicked off the New Year in style with the big Nook giveaway, which was a smashing success and a really great time with my fellow authors. We'll be doing another giveaway of something around the Summer Solstice, so there's a good do-over!

Back to February, I've had double digit releases in the past year, so need to get some more on the docket for the coming year. Lots of ideas, just need to wrap them up! I'll also be looking to start a new blog feature with a weekly post. More on that coming soon!

How about you guys? Any do-overs you wish you could use from the past year??

2 comments:

  1. *waves wildly at Candy Cane Guy*

    I'm not big on do-overs. Life just is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great year!!

    No do-overs for me although if I could do them for others I'd have a few to do. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...